Talon SR Electronic Speed Controller
The Talon SRX offers the latest in smart speed controller technology compressed into a robust, compact package. This latest iteration of the popular Talon platform from Cross the Road Electronics adds support for CAN, additional communication protocols, and integrated PID control.
In addition to support for CAN and other advanced communication protocols, the Talon SRX includes a compilation of smaller features that add up to a robust all-inclusive motor speed controller.
- CAN, SPI, Digital IO, and USART (serial) protocols augment motor speed control with direct sensor feedback
- Onboard closed-loop PID control algorithms make complex motor control accessible to all teams
- Full aluminum case, passive cooling fins, and sophisticated internal components make fans optional
- Completely sealed enclosure prevents debris from getting anywhere it shouldn't be
- Electrically insulated components allow for direct controller mounting to a robot frame with no fear of shorting
- LED indicators blink proportionately to output speed for easier debugging
- Illuminated "Brake / Coast Calibration" button enables one-touch setting changes and calibration
- Robust embedded power & output cables will never shake loose during a match
- Built-in pockets sized for #8 nuts and zip tie grooves make rigid mounting simpler than ever
- Integrated sign-magnitude synchronous rectification reduces heat generation at full motor stall
- 15 kHz output switching frequency ensures smooth and precise motor control
|Dimensions ||2.75" x 1.185" x 0.96" |
|Supported Communication Protocols ||PWM, CAN, SPI, |
|Direct Sensor Input ||Yes |
|Nominal Voltage ||12V |
|Min/Max Voltage ||6-28V |
|Continuous Current ||60A |
|Surge Current (2 sec) ||100A |
|PWM Input Pulse (high time) ||1 - 2 ms nominal |
|PWM Input Rate (period) ||2.9 - 100 ms |
|PWM Output Chop Rate (Switching Frequency) ||15.625 kHz |
|Minimum Throttle (Deadband) ||4% |
FOA employees will wire the PWM header on the ESC, and add the +/-connectors as well. This additional wiring explains the higher cost.
We recommend calibration of the ESC before use, after it is powered and connected to your mixer and receiver. The calibration procedure takes the minimum, maximum and center values of the PWM input signal and scales the output based on these values. Calibrating the Talon will allow full range of control with PWM signals that are not within the default range. Calibrating will also correct any non-center issues with input devices such as game pads or joysticks.
To Calibrate the Talon:
1. Press and hold the button "B/C CAL". The LED should begin to blink red/green
2. While holding the button, move the joystick (or other input signal) to full forward then to full reverse. This can be done multiple times. The Talon SRX is looking for max & min PWM values during this step, so ensure that the joystick reaches its full max and full min
3. Center the joystick and then release the CAL button
4. The LED will blink green several times if the calibration was successful. The LED will blink red several times if the calibration was not valid. If this happens, the Talon will use the last valid calibration values
Note: Calibration profiles are saved to persistent memory (persist across power cycles)